Saturday 1 September 2012

We Are Here!

It's been a very long and tiring week at HP Haven!   BUT we are moved and finally have internet again.   No posts due to the two excuses already mentioned.

What's new?   Well the horses are here and have settled into their new field and run in shelter perfectly.   On the first morning, they both just sniffed about in their new run in shelter and then proceeded to trot off down the field.   Izzy took the lead and cantered down the hill and crested the top of the hill at a leisurely pace with Emma trailing behind her stiff legged and looking as if she was saying, "Hey kid, What's your hurry?".   It was a beautiful picture of the 2 of them loping along the top of the ridge in the morning sun.   Within 10 minutes they had both settled into finding some grass.   Pastures are pretty sparse with alot of weeds but will keep them busy until the fall since it's a big space.
The picture below shows the 2 of them on the first morning.  I called to them and they both turned to look in my direction.


Wednesday was moving day.   It was a long day and the movers were short one guy so it took even longer than I had expected.   However, they moved all the furniture and the many, many boxes of sorted things that were packed and ready to go.   Chris and my Dad busied themselves moving the garage and shed.  
The moving continued into Thursday to get the garage moved and then more moving again on Friday to get the barn moved.  It was I think the longest 3 days of my life so far!   I know in 6 months we will look back on this time and not recall it to be as painful as it was.   To be honest tho, we had so much going for us we are so thankful for the nonstop help that both my Mom and Dad supplied for the last 2 full weeks.  My parents spent such long days working and helping us that they stayed over night.   We even got the childhood wake up call from my Dad at 6:30 am of him crowing like a rooster.   Used to be his favourite thing to do when I was a teenager and had stayed out far later than I should have when I knew I had to get up the next day.  
We were also blessed with fantastic weather.   Who couldn't have asked for better.   It was a bit hot but we had no rain, so really we can deal with the heat!

It was such a pleasure to share the afternoon on Thursday with Reta and Bill.   They came for a visit and ended up staying the afternoon and helped load trailers and make trips back and forth to the new house.   I seriously aspire to be half of what Reta is when I am her age.  Thanks to you both for giving us your love and sharing in our dream of a farm of our own.   Your enthusiasm and positive energy was the exactly what I needed that afternoon.   AND the cherries were delicious!

Friday was the longest and busiest day of them all.   By the end of the day I had had my fill of moving and was...well irritable!   I was hot, tired and dirty.   Not to mention I had no internet and was feeling disconnected and still need some grounding that only a ride on a horse can provide.
My Dad however, was in his workaholic mode and never stopped.   He even moved the load of top soil we had delivered last year for pasture repairs making several trips back and forth with his dump trailer to bring the soil to the new farm to fix a low washout area long the drive to the back 40.  DH and I cut out at 9 pm on Friday after all the fence posts had been pulled and and moved to the new farm.   I have no idea what time he dumped off the last load of soil but I am sure I was sound asleep!!   Thank God he's from the generation that a little hard work never killed anyone...because we couldn't have done it without him!
My mom is the same...she cleaned tirelessly while I packed, moved items and spun myself into disorganized circles!   This move was hard for both Chris and I; I can't even imagine how hard it would have been if we had to do it without them.  

We have had a number of visitors stop in and wish us well on our new adventure.   It was so nice to see the familiar face today of a previous co-worker that himself will soon be making his own move in less than a month.   Don, we wish you well in your move as I know it's a very tough life decision to uproot ones self and make new roots in another town.   It will be so worth it in the end...you just wait and see and keep the great attitude!
Lynda stopped in today to have a peek too.   Nice to see local faces that we have met since we became horse people in Haldimand county.   The horse community is very small and to know that there are so many supporting people within a few minutes drive confirms that my decision to stay in the area was the right one.  I know over the years I have been homesick for the Woodstock area.  I have missed my horse friends there very much and being in a place that you know the people and their history as well as they know you and yours provides a connection without having to work real hard at it.   It's a good feeling but I know one that not everyone likes.   Can't wait to get over to Lynda's sugar bush later this fall for a hack with her and her horse Navarre once we are settled in a bit more and time commitments for must get done projects here has eased a bit.   Nice new ride Lynda...Pearl is beautiful!  :-)

DH and I had "a moment" when our closest neighbour dropped off a lovely house warming gift to us.  Thank you Tracy (and Rob too) for the lovely gift and the very heart felt card.   It was a teary moment for all 3 of us.   We've had some really great neighbour times together for the last 8+ years.   You and Rob mean alot to us both and I hope that you won't be strangers now that we are 10 minutes away!   Knowing that there was always someone that had your back in the neighbourhood was something city neighbours only dream of.  I sure hope the impromptu dinner invites don't stop...good times, good food and good friends around your kitchen table!  :-)   Leaving Decewsville was not an easy decision for us and you guys were certainly one of the pros on our list of reasons to stay!

Finally, I thought I should share a slight glimpse into the life I will lead over the next several weeks until I get to the pasture clean up that is required.
Princess Izzy has been up to her normal devious deeds.   This morning this is how I found her and the following picture of the ammo I had to use to detangle her from her mischief.  Seriously, she has 20 acres does she 'need' the blade of grass near the burrs??


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.