Tuesday 18 September 2012

Pest Update

Another thank you to all my friends who provided rodent control advice.
I think I might be winning...maybe just winning a little bit but on the cusp of really pulling ahead!
I bought the suggested bait and set all the bait feeders out last night.   This morning no mice in the Victor traps.   That however is not something news worthy!   BUT I only seen one little mouse  this morning at feed time and tonight NO mice at feed time.   Normally at feed time I see at least 6-8 mice.   Curiosity was really getting the better of me so I had to pull the bait feeder out and have a look inside to see if the yummy bait sticks had any evidence of rodents.   Yep!!  The run in barn had loads of evidence and the farm supply salesman made a point of telling me this was one feed kill bait.
I know I should not be celebrating the death of vermin...but mice really make me sick.   All that poo and mess everywhere.   Ick!
Now I have to get to the TSC and find this product called Cab Fresh that Jeanne recommends to keep the little buggers out of my blankets that are stored in the barn.
Thanks again friends for all the advice and suggestions...it was a big help!

Last night DH cut the front pasture on the hill in front of the house.   We are still not sure what we will do with that field.  I hate the thought of having to cut it as lawn but it's really not a convenient place to turn out the horses.   The old owners used to have sheep and a llama in there.   I think I might have to try and convince hubby that I need a small donkey!  I don't know what for but my friend Pat got me hooked on this blog that gives the day to day antics of 3 donkeys, a horse, a pot belly pig and a dog...o ya and their owner!   Check it out here, 7MSN Ranch.

Last night I busied myself with a very enjoyable ride on Miss Izzy.   I think Iz and Em are finally starting to get a grip on their anxiety of being separated.   Iz worked very well both on the ground and under saddle.   I have been trying to get myself back into a regular 5 days a week riding again.   It's been about a month since that has happened, and I have missed it as well as the routine it offers.   This is the first time Izzy has had a significant break in her training since she was started 2 years ago.   I see now that she really is better with the regular training.   The extended break has set us back somewhat from where we were.    Mostly a mental state of readiness to work not physical.  I am not surprised by this tho as she has been a bit of a late bloomer in the mental readiness department.   Em on the other hand could be off for months and I could get on her and she would be right were we left off; just not physically able to do what her mind believes she is still capable of.

A special thanks to my mom for the lovely plants that she brought over on the weekend for the roadside planters.   I put them together in my pots from the front porch at the old house.   Chris drove them to the front gate with the front end loader and I propped them up against the posts.   The ground is a bit uneven there but I wanted to set them out anyway.   I believe that when things in your life that you see everyday make you smile, it brings overall happiness to your life.    I also believe that happy people are more productive.  I need to be productive (at least for the next long while :-), so creating those planters will bring me joy everyday as I pull in the driveway.  I think that's time well spent even tho these were not highest on the priority list!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.