Monday 10 September 2012

Busy September Weekend

HP Haven has been a bustle of activity this past weekend.
We had rain on Saturday morning so I set out to try and get the house in order.   Please take note that I did say that I set out to TRY.  As the story always goes, one thing lead to another and then I found myself ripping up the small bits of carpet that are in the bedroom wardrobes and washing and painting the floors.  I had cleaned the first cupboard and thought the carpet looked reasonably clean.   The second however was just like the rest of the carpeting that was ripped up...It had pee stains in the closet!   Yuck!   So it had to go and since I was doing one I figured I might just as well get rid of it all.    They are all now complete but setting out to get the house in order was long gone by the wayside!   I will again try and another day!  :-)

My Dad came by on Saturday morning and spent until early afternoon cleaning up the lower section of the bank barn.  He had a full load of scrap on his trailer.   He's getting rid of the many appliances that the sellers left us with.   One giant freezer, a dish washer, a washer and a stove and the old aviary.    Countless bundles of fencing wire and lots of just plain metal junk.   He's going to recycle it for us...we are fine with that...it's gone!

Saturday afternoon turned out to be beautiful sunny afternoon.  Since it had rained most of the morning I thought this was the opportunity to start to tackle some of those 4 foot weeds that are basically taking over everywhere.   I thought I would start in the area that I see the most; the back door and the pergola/pond area.   

We had a special visit from friends Reta and Bill.   They like to live spur of the moment and were in the area so stopped over in hopes that we were free to go for supper with them at the Twisted Lemon.   Well who can say no to that!    It was still a couple hours until dinner so Reta asked for a pair of gloves to help with the weed pulling!    Bill helped Chris get the lawn mower going.   What a wonderful couple of friends, they work and then treat us to dinner at the best restaurant in town.   We are so lucky!

Here's Reta and Bill...my oldest and most amazing friends.

This is us at Twisted Lemon...delicious meal, great company.   Made for a fabulous evening after a full day.
Here are some before and after pics of Reta and my's handiwork pulling weeds.   Such satisfying work weed pulling...because you can really see results from all your effort.

BEFORE


AFTER


This is the wreckage for weed composting.   I still have the other half of the pond to do and all the areas up near the barns.  It will have to wait now until after it rains again.   Good old Cayuga clay has harden up like the kiln fired pots this stuff has got to be good for.

Saturday also led me into the neglected garden that the sellers left behind.   They had about 6 Roma tomato plants and 2 small cherry tomato plants.    I never planted a garden this year and really was missing it earlier in the season.   I had let go of the fact that I was not having fresh lettuce and would not be making my own spaghetti sauce this year.   It turns out that my sauce is still a reality...I could not bare to see those beautiful tomatoes go to waste.   So I picked Sat and made sauce on Sunday...and I am finishing the reducing process tonight.   This sauce will not get canned like I normally do but will freeze this sauce in bags for the cold days of winter when I really need something fresh.

Here are the pickin's.

This is the first stock pot of sauce simmering on the stove.

 Sunday I played hookie from farm work nearly all day.  (Bad me...but I had so much fun)  I rode Izzy in the morning.  She was fabulous.  Considering how little she has been ridden in the past 3 weeks she worked wonderfully in the outdoor.  Which was the best it has been since we moved in due to the rain on Saturday.   Then I went to the London Dressage Assoc. show to watch my friend Heather compete on her horse.   They must have got ALOT more rain in London because the rings were complete muck!   Heather did a good job.  Here they are looking great despite the mud!


Sunday was also a sad day in the history of barn boots.   I tossed out my old faithful Blundstone boots.  They were my absolute favourite boots.  I become very attached to my broken in shoes and boots.   I don't really like getting new shoes and new barn boots are such a big deal.  The old ones are like trusted friends.   They have miles and they have been trusted company through hot, cold, rain and shine.   Alas, I new that they were beyond salvaging as I made my way across the driveway with a hideous flip flopping sound echoing my foot falls as my right heel hung on by a literal thread.    I announced their passing to DH before making the deposit in the trash.   He gave me "that" look like I can't really be sad about this.   Then he punctuated the thought with, "They should have been thrown out 2 years ago!"   

Not really sure why I love my barn boots so much but of all the things that I am attached to they are one thing that I do treasure.   I have had a new pair of Blundstone's that have been getting the odd day out now and again over the last couple of years but they just don't feel the same.   I know it's nutty but I can't explain it.   They just aren't my old boots.   DH would be mortified that the thought has crossed my mind several times to pull them out of the trash.   I won't but I have thought about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.