Friday 28 September 2012

Bring On The Weekend

Another fruitful week at HP Haven!
300 bales of hay in the barn and it's beautiful stuff!   About another 150-200 more to come and we will be set for all the critters this winter.

Got a special treat this week...I was invited to come and ride Grady, Sharon's new young 4 year old boy.   He's lovely and such a kind, easy going thoroughbred.   He's got the chrome too...big blaze and 4 white socks.   It was one of those, You got me at hello moments!   He can definitely come and be one of my herd if at any point Sharon thinks he's not a good fit for her!

The mouse update for this week...the rodents are becoming fewer...well at least visibly fewer, meaning I don't see them waiting under the feed tubs at chow time!   I have had 3 bait boxes completely cleaned out again this week.   Made a visit to the TSC tonight and decided that I needed one more bait box and 3 more bait sticks...what the heck, the stuff was on sale and I am rather enjoying this new mission as mouse terminator.   I just wish I knew how many mice I have "taken care of" with my $100 in bait, traps and hunting supplies.   Don't all good hunters want to have a trophy from the hunt?

We finally had a look up in the loft of the shop barn.   There is no ladder and the ceiling is about 9-10'...and lets face it people...we were just plain afraid to see what was up there after the state of the bank barn and the interior of the house.  (Not to mention the mouse infestation was the worst in there, so didn't want to poke my head up there at practically eye level with an entire city of rodents).  Well, since one of the lights in the run in was burnt out and DH hustled the big ladder in to change it, we braved it.   I don't think anyone has been up there since the early 1900's!   There's an old wooden wringer washer, a pot belly coal stove and the convertible top for an old buggy.   I didn't actually set foot up there but that was what we could see from the top rung of the ladder.   More discovery in that area another day when we have more time.   Hopefully we won't find out this is also the mouse graveyard.

Had the chimney cleaned this week...another amazing discovery.   When the cleaner was checking the cavity for the insert to help figure out if the blower fan was Ok for the unit he popped out the vents on the bottom side walls and stuck his hand it to feel around.   OK...I stood there watching thinking...seriously guy are you really going to get your face down there and see if you can see in there.   Then he proceeded to stick his hand into this cavity beside our fireplace.   No way in hell I would have had my face down by the hole or even worse stuck my hand into the abyss of the wall.    He looks up at me and crinkles his brow and pulls out a women's leather clog.  I burst out laughing in shock and disbelief.   Then he reaches in and pulls out clog number 2!   In my shock I ask him who puts shoes in the walls?   He said in all of his years cleaning fireplaces he has never pulled out shoes from a fireplace cavity!   I know I have said this before...nothing should shock me anymore about this house and how the previous owners did things...but once again I am shocked and disgusted all at the same time.   I could have understood if these were vintage shoes of the period the house was built but these are 21st century shoes stuffed in the wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.