Saturday 15 September 2012

Working for the Weekend

It's been a busy few days at HP Haven!
Thursday night was our first official BBQ at the pond pergola.   Lovely evening with Sharon, Rob and Greta.   What a nice night it was...couldn't have asked for a nicer evening weather wise.   Thank you both for the wine and your enthusiasm for our new project.   We seen the potential too!  :-)   It's a work in progress and 5 years from now you hopefully won't recognize the place.

DH and our guests before dinner.



Thursday night was also exciting for the girls…Duke was again on the loose and made another appearance after dark in the pasture.   At dusk, the neighbours had dropped over asking if we had seen him as he had got loose again.   By night check I couldn't see my horses and knew that something must be up as I could hear them moving around.   Chris and I armed ourselves with flash lights and set out to search for the girls in the dark.   As soon as we reached them it was obvious Duke had been around as they both were hot and the evenings are cool enough that grazing horses should not be sweating!   Within a minute from reaching the girls we heard the rustle of quick little trot steps in the next pasture.   With a sweep of the flash lights there appeared Duke.   Straight under the 3rd wire making a bee line to Izzy, who quickly turned on him and chased him off.   
Duke was returned home by 10 pm…He can thank his lucky stars that he's cute!

Today was a busy day outside.
I was fortunate to start my day schooling Izzy before breakfast!   :-)  Yeah Me!
Soon afterwards my folks rolled in and we were busy taking down fencing and removing fence posts.  Still a ways to go but we have a great start on the 2 back pastures being removed.   We do not need an additional 25 acres of pasture for 2 horses, so the land will be returned to working acreage.

Here is my Dad starting out with post removal of the cattle stock area.


I spent my afternoon weeding.   We had rain on Friday, so it was prime time to pull weeds again today.   Once again I will say how rewarding weed pulling can be.   My back is not really feeling the reward, however I am pleased with how several hours labour can really change things.
Here is the West side of the pond.

BEFORE

AFTER

Here is the barn entrance.
BEFORE

AFTER

I also want to thank all my friends who have been in touch regarding mouse extermination.  I am planning some bait and have started my search for tip traps.   So far I keep reloading my Victor traps.  I am feeling somewhat vindicated tonight as the graphic image below was what I found at night check tonight!     After all the peanut butter that has been "stolen" off my traps, I couldn't help but say "sweet" out loud when I found this trap!


Mouse Death Toll = 6





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.