Sunday 24 March 2013

Tundra Swans and Special Birthday Ride

I could make a list of the things that I love about living in Haldimand County.   One of the things on the top of my list would be that I live on the migration route of the Tundra Swans.   This week 2 large flocks flew over while I was doing evening chores on 2 different days.   The pure white bodies, the black heads, the elegant extra long necks and the constant conversation of the flocks is really mesmerizing.   I stood transfixed staring into the sky as they flew over.   When I went for groceries last weekend 100's of swans were down in nearby farm field for a rest on their route.  I wished I had my camera with me to stop and photograph the site.   However, I know that I will be able to catch them again next year.   That is I sure I hope I do.
There a 260+ massive wind turbines being erected in Haldimand County.   The construction project began this winter and there are many of these giants already standing idle along the Lake Erie shoreline.   If truth be told, they where a major influence in our decision to move from our happy little property across from the golf course to the farm.   The old place will have 7 of these massive wind machines within view from the back yard and one was going to be just outside the minimum set back allowance.   When the deal fell through for the original farm we had offered on and it had been discovered our house was sold, we knew in our hearts it was still the right decision to move knowing the upcoming construction.   Looking back on that time and seeing where we are now...I believe some force greater then I, had this plan laid out...I am thankful everyday for the powers that help guide our destinies!

Here is a photo from Wendy's Photography Blog from St Thomas area.   This is the view I had from the paddock.

This weekend marked one of my dearest friends 86th birthday!   Happy Birthday Reta!  Hacking with you on Saturday was fantastic...you are such a positive and high energy person...I hope to have half your energy when I reach your age.
Here we are coming back from a hack...Reta on Em and myself on Iz.   Reta and Em have a combined age of 109 this month!!  Amazing eh!


I had a stroke of creativity this week...hence the lack of a mid week blog post!   This piece will be donated to the mini auction at the show that will be held in Simcoe in May.   It was inspired by the changing of the season...Spring has sprung but it hasn't really shown itself yet!


Vermin Death Toll = 7.5
Ok...I know followers are likely thinking how do you get 0.5 of a mouse??   Well...the story goes a bit like this.   Reta came to ride on Saturday and when I pulled the saddle bag and cover off of Emma's very lightly used saddle, 2 vermin jumped off at me and when I pulled the saddle cover out to shake it off there was a small blind hairless baby mouse in the mess of chewed fabric and fleece.   I think it counts for 0.5 of a mouse.   It's one less that will grow up to feast on my oats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.