Saturday 2 March 2013

Arena Dust Control and Almost 3 Peas in a Pod

This Post is from last weekend...for some reason it got stuck in Draft Mode and was never published!

This weekend was a busy one around the farm.
We re-leveled the indoor arena and then put down the first treatment of dust abatement.
DH did an awesome job on the footing.   It’s the best it has been since we moved in.    We have been tinkering away at fixing the footing bit by bit.  After all the excess sand was removed the base was still not 100% level.   We still had a few deep areas and a few very thin areas that made the indoor not as enjoyable to ride in as I would like.   With the re-leveling the footing is much more even throughout.  There will still be some work necessary over the summer to fix a few spots that are just not 100% but overall I am pleased with the results thus far.   
Here is DH levelling the footing.

The dust indoors with the removal at least the top 6” of sand has left the bottom layer rather dusty.   I’m not 100% convinced we wouldn’t have had a dust issue before but my guess is the old owners never had a dust issue because the horses couldn’t move because it was too deep!  J
We have laid our first treatment of dust abatement.   It’s an improvement already and the sand is moist to walk through it.   We now have sand stuck in hooves and on boots.   This is a happy problem!   The purchase from each foot step has improved with the treatment too but we still have not 100% settled the dust.   So…we will lay a second treatment and see how that fairs.   The product we are using is a natural product…the same stuff they used at Spruce Meadows in their International warm up ring. 



















Here I am applying the treatment.   

Between DH and I we got quite the work out pushing this hand spreader through the sand.   Scott’s never had dust abatement in mind when they made those seed spreaders!

Mare Update
All is well in the herd of 3.   All mares have now been through a heat cycle together and have become what I would consider civil with each other.
Here they are eating hay together on Sunday morning outside.   All within a horse length of each other. 

Wanda has been working out so nicely.   She’s got big braced shoulders so I have my work cut out for me there but, she is so willing and has a lot of try in her.  I like that…A LOT!   
Here she is working on line…Terrie took this at a good moment!    

She had relaxed and was letting her neck down.   Her tendency is to be braced through her lower neck and shoulders.   I have received my first suggestion on a who to use for a stallion service…Margaret is suggesting Red Wine.   Check him out here.   He’s a handsome boy…love the black stallion with all the chrome!

Molly Funny
So Molly has become a bed bug!   She wakes up in the morning and jumps into bed with DH and I for cuddles and a second snooze.  Sunday morning I was half fuzzy after she had made her leap and settled herself between DH and I.   She kisses us both and then settles down for her second nap.   About 15 minutes in, I hear a small toot!    I was half asleep but felt Molly scramble immediately afterwards.   I held my ground with my back to the action and was thinking in my head…Geez, that's nothing like DH to toot in bed.   He NEVER does that!  (Thank God!)   Then I hear it again and Molly does the scramble again.  This time I rolled over and give DH the elbow.  All offended he proclaims his innocence and tells me it’s Molly!    Then it happens again!   The hilarity that ensued was all my own.   DH is not a morning person so as I was laughing into tears as Molly tooted and then scrambled around to have a look at her butt to see what was there making the noise, he was not finding this nearly as funny as I did.    The look on her face was priceless tho, shear disbelief that when she heard the noise there was absolutely nothing behind her!   I guess you had to be there!   J

It's the muddy season again here on the farm...look at these paws!!   We are going through a lot of dog laundry at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.