Friday 22 February 2013

Horses Make Me Whole


O where to start?
This has been an especially trying week at the office.   This week I was so happy to get home and have the farm as my refuge.    To get lost in a particularly intensive yet sensitively connected training session was a very powerful stress relief.   There was a saying posted this week on Facebook…"Horses change our lives.   They give our young people confidence and self esteem.  They provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls – They give us hope!"   Author Unknown.    The author of this has lived my life.   I have cried many tears into the necks of 1000 lb animals.   They seem to know our sorrow, our sense of despair.    They have silently comforted me through some petty and some deeply tragic life events.   They were always there; through broken promises, the realization of unrealistic dreams, cheating boyfriends, frustrating work situations and dying loved ones.   All of those horses have lifted me up in those times of trouble and shown me were my confidence had gone.   They empowered me in a way that words never could.   They saved me by showing me I had not failed them.   I know if you are (in particular) a horse woman reading this, you know the feeling.    Whatever in your world is going wrong, you can mount up to ride and everything else melts out of you.   Horses have a way of cleansing the toxins of the world from our thoughts and let us be free to recharge, dream and believe.

The farm this week has been quiet.
The 3 girls are settling in nicely together.   After the first week of downright ugliness in that pasture I am ready for the hormones and temperamental attitudes to diffuse and find harmony.    Izzy was by far the worst of the bunch.  I am still not 100% sure if she was defending the top spot or trying to keep herself in #2.   O how naive I was to think that mother and daughter would have a loving reunion!   Izzy got one look at Wanda and did her best cavalry charge with ears flat against her head and teeth bared!   Wanda being far more savvy in years, moved away at a speed fast enough to keep her safe but never out right expressed a fear.   If she happened to get cornered, she would defend her space with her tail and a half hearted lifting of her kind leg…but from her, not a hoof out of place.   She’s a super friendly, easy keeper with a people pleaser attitude.   She has won DH over by a mile and she is his favourite in the herd now.   Fast forward to tonight, Wanda and Izzy are lovingly grooming each other and scratching each other on the withers.   I can’t keep up with these horses!   Emma being the matriarch is tending to her own tides first and keeps both the kid and Mom in there respective places.   I know they have to work out their order without interference.   I know the order will change from time to time and there will be future challenges.    But to my delight we have reached a peaceful chord (for now)…at least the 3 of them where inside the shelter together munching hay and waiting on dinner tonight.

Coyotes have been making themselves heard close to the farm buildings.   Last night they were particularly close and loud.   DH made his way out to the back pasture fence line with his walking stick and flashlight.   He could see eyes starring at him and then they disappeared.   If anyone knows of a trapper or hunter that would be willing to help with a bit of population control I think it’s time.   We have seen tracks crossing through our pastures that are empty right now and that’s too close for me.

Molly Update – The little stinker has figured out how to jump on our bed!!!   We have one of those newer style beds that is very high.   It’s about 3+ feet to the top of the mattress and we have wood floors…so jumping up hasn’t been encouraged incase she slips.   I was making the bed and all of a sudden there was a wild animal reeking havoc as I tried to straighten the quilt!   Now she’s up almost every morning when she wakes up.   She still sleeps on the carpet on my side and her saucer bed is on DH’s side.   She rotates between the 2 locations but when she wakes up (God loves me; it’s been 4:30 am only once this week!)

I forgot to mention last weekend we had a special visit from my Uncle "Tucker" and Aunt Mary.   They came out for a visit with my folks.   Dad gave them the grand tour…right back to the bush included!  J   Thank you both for stopping in and seeing our newest endeavor.  I was sorry to have missed your visit and I hope you will come back again in the summer for a cold drink by the waterfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.