Monday 18 February 2013

Happy Family Day Weekend

It's been a hectic week this past week on the farm so no posts to the blog.
We have been experiencing our first round of tax pain here on the farm.   As the commercial goes...it really is a pain in the butt!  
I have been sorting and keeping our expenses tabulated every month but now that we have officially met with the accounting firm that will be filing our personal and farm taxes there is a lot more work that is needed to my book keeping system in order to have things in the correct order to make our next visit less painful.   It was a 3 hour evening appointment here at the farm.  All I could think about while I was listening to the (very nice) accountant tell me how things "could" be laid out was...jeez it's a lovely evening and I would really prefer to be out riding my horses!  I know this is an essential and needed part of life...and I will try to find joy in this mundane task.   I will keep thinking about the fact that I will be giving less of our money to the government by going through the 40 hours of pain it will take.   I will be paying myself...does that ever happen on a farm??!  :-)

One rather funny and interesting detail that had DH nearly falling off his chair in hysteria was the fact that Miss Kitty is now officially an important working member of the farm!   ALL of her expenses, from food, vet and treats are a claimable expenses!  Kitty is now our official Pest Control Manager.

This weekend I went away with a group of girls I sew with on a regular basis.   They are a creative, energetic group of friends that have been so supportive in all of my creative endeavours.   We span the full gamut of age, diversity and creative strengths.   I think that's one of the reasons that our group meshes so well...we all bring something different to the table and support each other through our creative processes.   The local Guild will be holding a Quilt Show the first weekend in May, so there was a lot of work that was being done in preparation to have entries ready for the show.   As always there is family news that is shared along with fabulous meals that brings us closer together in each others lives.   One has a child moving into their first home, another is becoming a grandmother for the first time, one has returned from a Caribbean cruise, another has bought a country property, one has a son launching his first local news website (The Daily Brew, check it out...Launching March 1st), one had a day off from her 7 day a week Quilt Shop business (Quilt Junction), another shared her time house sitting, another her joys of owning and breeding Collies and one the happiness of finding a new man.   Of course they all ask me about my adventures on the farm and a couple of them are regular readers here.   We have a few laughs about the antics they have already read about.   In the end, we all have something to share and sharing our stories helps us grow our friendships.  These women bring a lot of joy to my life and I am thankful that I have each and everyone one of them in my life.   They each teach me a lesson I need to learn, support a void that I need filled or a nurture part of my spirit.  Thank you girls for a great weekend.

1 comment:

  1. A big thank you to YOU Sheila. Your creative energy, or I might say your creative force, combined with your compassion, plays a major, magical role in this group. Can't wait to see the other side of Sheila when you ride and compete.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.