Wednesday 7 November 2012

Uh-O! More Plastic & BUGS

I thought I had got the last of the plastic off the furniture from the moving company.  Oops, I found two more bedside tables with plastic!   Obviously, we have not needed anything inside!

When it comes to living in an old house with a crawl space basement you have to get really good at killing bugs!   I have squished more bugs in the last 10-12 weeks than I can ever remember killing the whole time I lived at the old house!   We started off inundated with flies.   I was killing them by the dozens and it seemed like we just never got ahead of them.   I guess it didn't help that when we first moved in we were refinishing the wood floors upstairs and we had all the windows wide open whether they had screens or not!   Then we went through a big ugly brown and black spider phase.  Actually, we might still be experiencing the tail end of this phase.  Starting a few weeks ago we started into a knew phase of the box elder bug.   These bugs are harmless to humans and they don't sting or bite...they are just ugly and everywhere.   They also smell pretty bad when you squish them and it's not advisable that you actually mash them against the wall to kill them because they leave a stain that even Mr Clean Magic Erasers don't remove!
Here's what the Box Elder Bug looks like.  

Have a mentioned yet that I am doing a little happy dance every night that I walk out the back door to the indoor to ride??!!   I can't believe how much time it saves when you are not packing up all your gear and horse and and traveling 15-20 minutes down the road to unload it all then ride, then load it all back up and drive it all home just to unload it all again to do it again the next day!   Ok...maybe that was a bit dramatic, because when I had no other option that was a great option and one that I did without regret.   I actually was grateful for the place to ride and the company it provided...BUT having to walk right out the back door to ride (even with the time change) is really awesome!   

DH's last round of indoor footing improvements is getting things approaching perfect!  None of the footing is so deep now that it feels like Izzy is getting bogged down.   Still a few spots that aren't quite as even as the rest but night and day difference from where he started when we moved in.  Had an amazing ride last night inside and tonight I ventured down the farm lane to the back bush line to check out the back 40.   Seen an abundance of deer that spun and flitted their white tails as they took cover into the woods.   Lots of guys with their 4x4's and quads over at our neighbours place for shotgun season.  Hopefully, I never drove them into the woods to their deaths!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.