Saturday 3 November 2012

Grand River Trapping...Sideline Business?

Thursday night I got to put the live trap to it's first test.   A week or more ago I had a raccoon in the new barn and had closed up the doors once I seen it inside and set the traps.   I checked back at night check to see if I got it...nothing.   Checked back in the morning at feed time and the little beggar got the front door open and obviously escaped!   Low and behold on Thursday night what do I find in the shop/run in barn...a raccoon!
This little beggar was not running off when I turned on the lights and stood there looking at it.   We just stood their frozen for what seemed like a few minutes (reality likely 15 seconds) before I clicked into actions and went to the new barn for the trap!    DH stood "guard" while I got the trap and moved in for the invasion.   Obviously the coon was not in favour of just walking happily into a trap, so it hissed and sputtered at me.   That's when I realized it was hurt and not moving all that fast.   Very ticked off and cornered I was able to poke the coon into the trap.   It was rather humorous after the fact as DH was more in favour of leaving the thing alone and letting it decide it was a good idea to enter the cage when we were not around and I was all into getting that sucker into the trap come hell or high water!   As you all figured I won out.    I was trapping that bugger and taking him for a little ride to the other side of the river!    And that was just what we did.
Here's the intruder.

As some of you may remember I started a pseudo business at the old place called Grand River Trapping.   Since at the old place I trapped 2 opossums in 2 years and took both of them for rides across the river too!

DH has been busy again in the indoor arena.  He moved more sand around has got the deep and thin spots much better.  Still a small amount of movement yet to clean up the last bit of deep sand along the south wall.   It's getting better and better...almost perfect.   Thanks Honey...best gift ever!

I have been away from the farm all weekend and will be off again tomorrow.   I know lucky me...I have a wonderful husband that lets me spend time sewing with my quilting and fibre arts friends.   I was in need of this weekend to recharge my batteries and be creative for the first time since well before we moved.   DH never even bats his eye with my disappearance...Even when the list of things to do around the farm is longer than my arm!   I have had a fabulous weekend and I still get all day tomorrow with the girls. 

Vermin Report...
We still have mice!   I checked the bait boxes this week and the bait was completely empty in 2 of the boxes and partially gone in another.   I didn't check the one in the loft of the bank barn but I am going to assume that one is empty as well.   Refilled 2 and will now have to buy more bait again to restock.   I want to stay ahead of these rodents...never again do I want to have half a dozen mice sitting under the feed tubs waiting for me to feed the horses not even afraid I might step on them!

I noticed for the first time this morning all the wonderful and colourful birds in the yard.    I think the glorious sunshine for the first time on over a week had a hand it the sighting!   I stood at the window this morning and counted at least a dozen blue jays, a bright red cardinal and a wood pecker with a red patch on the back of his head.  All the trees have been stripped of their leaves so all the beautiful birds are clearly visible.   I look forward to getting the feeders out for the winter this year and choosing a good spot for viewing as I think we will be entertained with some fantastic wildlife.   At the old house we never had many colourful birds since we had no large trees or bush line close by.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.