Monday 8 October 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving was fantastic on the farm.  I have so much to be thankful for again this year.   My life is truly full of blessings and I know how fortunate I am to have so many wonderful friends and family members.

My parents stayed the weekend and once again worked their tails off helping us get things into shape.

My mom spent her weekend washing the mudroom and sunroom from top to bottom.   That took almost all day on Saturday.   I couldn't believe the transformation in the mudroom just by making it clean.   Still has chipped paint and damage on the walls but what a difference just cleaning that room makes.   Then she tackled painting the ceils.   I REALLY hate painting ceilings so when she was willing to do it, I was more than thankful!   Not only did she get both ceilings painted on Sunday but she also pulled off a perfect turkey and ham Thanksgiving dinner with zero help from anyone.   We got the call out the kitchen window at 4:50 that dinner was at 5pm.  I love my mom!   :-)

My dad was busy with removing all the posts from the back pastures.   They have been very difficult to get out and he finished up the job and also had a massive fire burning all the broken posts and huge pile of old lumber that was stacked in the field.   The old owners rather than clean up the old lumber and broken building that was out in the far pasture they just erected the fencing around it.   Who does that?   
My dad also helped me take out all the old overgrown shrubs from around the house.   I was sad to see the shrubs go because the house looks naked and not what I am used to but they were just too big and too close to the house.   I am rather excited about the thought of starting a completely new flowerbed and gardens all around the house tho.   I love to garden (I know, too many hobbies!) so it will be fun to start with a fresh pallet in the spring and make these my own.   All my friends with perennial beds…keep me in mind this coming spring when you are splitting your plants…I will need lots!!

I tore out the vegetable garden that was out the front door and the tomatoes that were around the side of the house.   Little weird if you ask me having your veggies right out the front door, so it was a definite must go!   
Here are the photos of the house before we started.


Here's what it looks like now.   It seems a bit naked without all the tress but once the new plantings go in it will have a totally new look.   We also need to redo the grading along the foundation since the veggie patch out front was added by ripping the boards out of a deck and then adding dirt into the frame.  Who does that?



Here is Papa Bear on the tractor working his magic.

I also did more weeding.   Why is it that weeds grow 10 times faster than grass and pasture?   I finished off around the round pen and got the south side of the arena finished up.  I forgot to take a second picture of the arena after the piles of weeds were picked up and taken to the weed recycling area that we started.   (I will try and remember that for another time).

BEFORE


AFTER



Chris worked away on the run in shelter in pasture #2.  It was fraught with mishap for the poor guy on Saturday.   He wanted to use the air nailer to help speed up the process and save his arm.   He ran all of his airline and realized that it was too short to make it.   So he dug out the generator and hauled that to the shelter.   He hooked everything up to find out that his portable compressor for the nailer took too high an amperage at start up and he blew the fuse in the generator!   So off to the hardware store to replace the fuse…and bought additional air line!    By late afternoon he was set up and able to get started.
By Sunday this was there progress.  All the rafters are up and the support structure is complete.   We have all the metal for the roof and the boards for the outside, so it shouldn't be long now until the it's ready for horses!


I also spent some time with my horses this weekend.   Izzy had a nap on Saturday morning, so I went out to visit.

Then she had a good roll!   Emma as you can see found all this to be rather boring!

Then Chris took some pictures of my ride today.   One along the driveway since I trimmed all the trees this morning.

...and another out front.


The maple out front was in perfect colour for Thanksgiving.   This is Sunday morning…what a fantastic tree!   I am so glad we have this tree in the front…it brings me a lot of joy seeing its splendour.  

A special thanks to Sharon and Rob for bringing Julie over for a short visit.  It was so nice to see you guys and Julie...it was The Royal last year that I last seen her.   Where does the time go! 
Our old neighbours Rob and Tracy popped in today.   We really miss them and it was great to see them.   They need to come again when they can stay longer!

AND the final hurrah for this post is the Redneck window that my dad cut for us in our terrible black fence along the back of the house!   (He cut it with my new chainsaw, incase anyone was wondering!)  We had no view out the back of the house because of this fence.   We have no need for a privacy fence in our back yard, so we made it a bit less private!
BEFORE

AFTER

Now we have a view to the barn and the pastures from the mudroom...redneck perfect!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.