Saturday 1 December 2012

Soon There will Be Juice!

Life on the farm has been crazy!   First off I think I may have this blogger picture posting stuff figured out...Finally!   I have to save all the pictures I post on my blog in a low resolution.   I don't have a camera that takes low resolution shots so that means I have to reduce them all.   I have started to work through my blog album saved to Google so I now have some additional room to post more picture.   Lets just face it...A blog just wouldn't be as much fun of it had no pictures!

DH and I spent the day with my Dad working on the trench and putting the absolutely massive main power cable into the Big O pipe so that I could be buried in the trench.  As of tonight we have about 200 of the 400+ feet of cable buried.   The major line that runs from the central metering pole to the barn is over half way completed now.   Still have to trench the remainder, trench the barn to the shop line and also trench the pole to the house line.  Lots of work to do yet but it sure feels good to have this well underway.   We spent a month WAITING for Haldimand Hydro to get their part completed installing the pole at the road and then the contractor installing the pole along our driveway.  Living on the hill has it's advantages but when it came to this hydro install it was an added expense.   No standard 40 foot pole for this location; we had to have a special order 50 foot pole so that the ground clearance from the road would meet code.   It's been a bit hard for me to swallow the tremendous expense this upgraded is costing.   It hard because at the end of the day we have nothing really "extra" to show for the farm.   We just have hydro that meet code; something people expect!   HOwever it means that DH and I will be able to set up our respective hobby areas (DH = New Shop, Me = Arena) without any concerns for fire, overload or worrying that we will run out of power.    This new system will enable us to take 800 Amp form our new transformer...if we so need or desire it!  :-)

The trench form the central metering pole.

The guys on their toys.


We have been doing out part tho on energy conservation.   We have purchased some new lighting for the pastures that is an LED flood.   It's pretty amazing actually.   It's a 58W draw with the same candle power as a 250W Metal Halide bulb.   It's bright enough that it lights up the new shelter from where it hangs on the corner of the stable.   I love it and look forward to getting 2 more installed at the corners of the arena for the other pastures.

In the way of lighting...we now have switches for ALL of our silly barn lights that were plug ins at the back of the pump closet.   So nice to actually be able to walk in the barn door when it's late and just flick the switch on!   A farm girl can't be happier for modern conveniences!

Molly Update...
Molly met her cousin Bella today for the first time...they were instant buddies!   Bell was per babysitter for the day and Molly loved the attention!    Thank you Bell...it was wonderful to see you...wish we lived closer so we could ride together regular.
Molly made her first visit to the late night Emergency clinic on Thursday night.   She had her 12 week vaccination on after work and by 7:30 her face had swollen so much that she couldn't see and her years were 1/2" thick and burning hot.   Just makes me question again the need for vaccinations and the scepticism I hold with the drug companies.   What kinda junk are we injecting into our animals...because the vets tell us we have to or they will not treat our pets when they are legitimately sick.
Molly after a hard day playing with Bell!

I got a nice gift of labour from Bell as well today...she cleaned all of Izzy's tack.   It was a sore looking mess and need some TLC in the worst way.  I have to admit that all of Lynda's good practises I have watched over the years of cleaning all of her tack after EVERY ride has still not rubbed off on me!   :-)   I do however always clean my bit and boots after every ride...is that not some sort of restitution to get me out of purgatory?!   Thank you Bell...I can't tell you how much I appreciate that you did that for me!

Christmas decorating has started on the farm.   My mom has been busy making the house look festive.   NOt only has she done the planters by the road that I have already blogged about but she has suppled us with fresh handmade garlands and wreaths for the front and back doors.   She revitalized the planters at the pergola and also the large planter that we have moved to the circle drive.   When she arrived today she had more lovely wreaths with beautiful ribbons for all the doors to the barns.   Will take photos for next blog.   I love fresh greenery and these wreaths really make me feel joyful for the spirit of Christmas.   Thank you mom for all you do for us!   Dinner tonight was delicious after a full day outside in the cold.   Nothing like coming into a house, smelling of home cooking after a day like today!
The wreath on the kitchen door.


This has been a long one...too much to tell when you don't post for several days!

Encore Photo...Here are the Apple Cider Caramels from my earlier.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.