Thursday 20 December 2012

Rain, Rain Go Away

I know that some of my readers out there are also riders...I don't know about the rest of you but I am REALLY getting tired of the mud!   Moving to Haldimand County 10 years ago changed my entire thought process of what mud is vs clay.  
Feeding every morning is a workout these days.   By the time I make it to the shelter and back I have gained about 10 lbs per boot in clay.   If anyone wanted to get rid of me, all they would need to do is throw me over their shoulder and take me down to the river because I would do nothing but sink in my heavy boots!   I have given up washing my barn jacket until after it freezes now.   One water trough refill results in a mud encrusted sleeve rewinding the muddy hose back up to the barn.  

The horses seem to be no worse for wear in all the mud.   I guess happier to be out in the mud than to be cooped up in a 12 x 12 pen.   Emma as you seen from my last post is part pig.  Miss Izzy however is clean...even the tops of her white stockings are still white.  (Let's not get delusional here..the bottoms are caked...it is fetlock deep in their sequestered 1 acre lots).  She gingerly tiptoes through the mud puddles and looks rather aghast that I would turn her out in such torture...she however would be the first one kicking the barn down if she was stuck inside!   :-)
All 4 horses seem a bit lack luster now that they are on their small lots for the rainy season.   No one is enjoying being sequestered to their one acre sacrifice fields.  I kinda hate it too...it was nice to look out the kitchen window and see horses...that won't be until after it freezes now...if it ever does!

Tonight it's raining some more...so we will be adding to the mud and guck.

All this rain puts a big stop on our hydro trenching as well.   Only one more run to do, about 100' from the central metering pole to the house.   Let's hope this is just one night of rain and then we have a fabulous weekend to get things finished up.

However, complaining about the mud also means that we have wonderful outdoor riding ring footing...so even tho I am contending with the mud I am absolutely loving the outdoor riding in Dec. (sans turtleneck and vest...no jacket!!)

This week amongst crazy work hours and riding I got down to making a few treats for the annual potluck lunches at the office.  
Here is a new addition to this years Christmas baking...Cookie Dough Pops.


And of course, one of my favourites...Baklava.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.