Friday 11 January 2013

The Happy Accident


There have been a number of people in the past months that have noted to DH and I about how happy we seem to be on the farm.   That it shows in our faces, our conversations and our interactions with others.

I wanted to take a few minutes to reflect on this, because I feel the happiness and I am glad that it is reflected throughout my being.   I think this farm is just a catalyst to happiness.   It’s opened the window of possibility and closed some doors of negativity that needed to be left behind.   It’s like anything new; it’s exciting, interesting and breaths hope into the heart.  

The purchase of this farm was fraught with turmoil.   I few of you already know the issues we encountered with the realtors, the banking system, the lawyer and of course the ongoing issues with the old owners.   But through all that “junk” there was a fresh start.   There was a chance to build something together.   There were dreams being realized and new dreams being imagined.  There were opportunities waiting to be taken.    I have made the choice to be happy and once you make that choice it becomes so much easier to live in that lifestyle that feeds your happiness.  
We have free will to be happy…Make happiness the choice.   Yes, I know what you are thinking!   I have drank the cool aid and I am some crazy hippy farmer now.   Maybe you’re right…but I know I have control of my happiness; it’s up to me to be happy.   It’s not up to DH to make me happy, it’s not up to my circumstances, it’s not my boss’ job or my families job or my friends job.  It’s not about having things or money or stuff to be happy.   It’s about making a choice and following it through.  Some days following it through is easier than others!   I am not naive enough to believe I am never grumpy (DH will certainly vouch for this one!), that I never have a bad day or I never get discouraged.  It’s knowing and believing that I own my happiness and if I am unhappy it’s all up to me to make the necessary changes to be happy.   Even tho some days it seems my resolve to be happy is tested at every task I set out to accomplish, I can still choose to make them into opportunities or make them into struggles.   It may be a corny mindset for some, but it’s working around this funny farm!

I consider the purchase of this farm “A Happy Accident”.   This was not the farm we set out to buy…it was actually stroked off the list very early on in our search due to price/size.   How this farm came about was through turmoil, stress, a tough decision to sell without a place to live and a week’s vacation in Barry’s Bay that was the farthest thing from a relaxing vacation.   We signed an offer on a house to buy, we sold our house unknowing that the house we had intended to purchase was sold out from under us, we had 6 weeks to find and close a deal on a new house and after some silly negotiations the stars aligned and we got the farm.   That’s a very simplified synopsis of events but fate intervened and things have turned out just as they were supposed to.   So, happiness for me comes from being flexible, having gratitude and appreciating that things don’t always turn out as you expect but there’s a darn good reason for it.

So, to my friends and family that have seen a change…thank you for being so honest and sharing that.   Happiness is contagious just like negativity.  I want to surround myself with positive…and I know that starts with me.  

On a totally different note, here is the progress report for the Pump room  - The spray foam has been completed and now we can get on with moving the tank and lines into one area, closing it all in with a real door and installing a heater.  
Here is the before and after pics of the new pump room.   Likely will be more progress on this over the weekend.
BEFORE



AFTER



Molly has been a superstar this week.  Spent her first week at home alone in the day and has Zero, yes you read that correctly folks, ZERO accidents in the house!   Look at how much she has grown...This is her on the cat's bed a week ago. 

  This is her from the first week we got her!

I also was lucky enough to have my old friends from high school over for our annual Christmas in January get together.   It's so great to have connections to these wonderful friends...it's a lifetime of memories that we share.   Having friendships like the ones we share are priceless.   Lisa and I have actually been friends since grade 1!  That's nearly 35 years we have been friends!  We are linked together forever with memories of times gone by and the fun we have planned for the future.
Love you girls so much!


DH and I have spent this week settling back into the routine of our day jobs again.  The 2+ weeks off at Christmas was fabulous.  I could really adapt easily to the farming lifestyle!   Doing chores, walking the dog, completing odd jobs, riding, cooking, spending time together and tending to life from home.   My car never even left the driveway for 10 days!  I think that’s a record for me.
But as I know this is a good life…it requires some funding and thus I tend to the office duties and projects at work with a new zest for a new year.  

To end off this post I have recently finished reading the book “The Happiness Advantage” by Shawn Achor.   Check out his TED Talk about the concept of the Happiness Advantage here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.