Sunday 20 July 2014

End Of Summer Vacation

I had a miserable 2 weeks off playing full time farmer!  :-)
Tonight the reality of a day job and full time work to support my hobby kick back in.   :-(

Lots and lots of farm work was accomplished in 2 weeks.
I got both of the new shades up on the pergola…sorry no photo but I can highly recommend GinTech Shade Technologies to anyone looking to buy a custom tarp or canopy product.   Local company with excellent customer service and the shades are perfect for our application.

I spent time weeding this holiday.   I know that my normal followers and all my family and friends know my vial dislike for weeds.   I really should keep track at some point how many hours in a year a spend destroying weeds from all areas of my life.   I chalk it up to the fact that I am outdoorsy kinda girl and that means if I am killing weeds I get to be outside!!
Here is the veggie garden freshly weeded.

I weeded the pergola side of the pond.  BEFORE

DURING - My side kick was swimming rather than helping!

AFTER

While we were off this week we even got a visit with my favourite little person!   Who is now 1 year old!

DH made headway on the shelter erection on Pasture #3.
Base is down

Framing has started

Roof trusses are up

Papa Bear has taken on the responsibility of the grading for all the new shelters.   Between him and DH the massive amounts of clay that has been hauled in from the old round pen excavation has been full time work.   However, the lesson learned from the shelter in Pasture #2 was that we needed to elevate and elevate them high…in order to make sure all the rain run off from the rolling hills in the pastures doesn't end up running into a shelter!   We also added stone and stone dust to the base to allow for drainage from within the shelter.   

The base in #3 is complete with the exception of some additional soil to the front entry and the base in 4  has the stone in place.  5 has the soil being added now and 6 we actually will have a high spot to build on there (hallelujah) so we will level that off with a few loads and then added the stone.   All in due time but progress is underway.  :-)

During weeding and window paint prep, Miss Kitty found herself supervising from between the windows in the living room!   Not sure how she got in-between there but she squashed herself in for the best view!

Early morning chores and riding are my most favourite times of day.   This was Friday's fantastic sunrise over the pastures.

Because this time of day has such a wonderful light…you get to be present in the moment with experiences that mid morning sun doesn't offer.   Like this wonderful collection of cobwebs that 30 minutes later didn't have the same magic.   I wonder if Charlotte lives here?






And one last weed be gone adventure….I bush hogged the trail in the woods and enjoyed a morning ride on Izzy. 
This is the view entering the woods.   This was and old derelict bench that my mom was planning to burn.   I seen it and knew it needed a home for a few more years on the farm.  
Thanks Mom for fixing it up just enough to make it useable again and to Mom, Dad, Dave and Teresa for delivering it and testing it out!


The view of the freshly bush hogged trial.

The view exiting the woods and looking at the back of the farm.   At this point we are 1K from the barn.   It's a lovely ride to the woods and back to cool out Izzy after a successful schooling session.  
(As a side note…the beans aren't looking all that lush!)

Sometimes I even get company on the cooling out ride!
Melissa on Wanda and Terrie on Elvis.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.