Sunday 1 September 2013

Farm Updates - It's Been Awhile

It's seems like yonks since I last gave a really decent update on the progress around the farm.
There has been a lot going on here!

Not in chronological order...here are some of the happenings.

Arena Windows are Clean
Prior to the open house I finally got around to washing the light panel windows in the arena.   I had wanted to do this last fall and got 2 windows done by hand but then the weather turned cold and I gave up till spring.   Well spring came and went because riding outside started and who thinks of the arena when you have an outdoor twice the size with beautiful breezes!
Here is the BEFORE

Here are my tools for the job I will be thankful I spent the 4 hours on in the dead of winter.

Here is the AFTER


Progress on the Trail Through the Bush 
My Dad has been several days now working away on the trail through our bush.   Unfortunately, within the first 100m there was a bog that was virtually unpassable most of the time even in the drought of summer.   He has spent days digging it out and back filling it with rock and old concrete to allow the water to filter through and then he's been using the fill from his new septic system and his neighbours porch to raise the trail.   So far it's looking fantastic.  In my Dad's normal fashion of, go big or go home, he has made the trail wide enough for a team with a wagon to get through!

Here is the entrance. 
 

These are the lovely yellow daisies along the side of the trail.

This is the start of the dig and back fill.

This is progress.
And now it's even temporarily passable by horse and tractor.   I see some fun bush hogging in my future!

This is the site...(I know blurry and far off) that Molly and I spotted as we walked back to the bush one evening.   A doe and her fawn.


Vintage Car Visitors
We have been fortunate with the fabulous Aug weather to have visitor stop in with their old cars.
Here is my friend Ron and his '57 Thunderbird.   Fully restored by him over several years.   It's a lovely car...AND a beautiful colour!

Bill also came by in his '69 Swinger.   Nice sound to this one and boy the thing runs pretty rich when it's idling...almost took me back to the race shop at the old house!  (Someday Honey...someday there will be a race shop again!!)

Pergola has Lights
With the summer season comes dining outside in the Dunbar home.    Now that the days are starting to get shorter, DH added some lights...so we can continue to enjoy the al fresco dining I love.

Fencing Update
We have the 5 gates for the shoots from the barn to Pastures 1 thru 5 hung.   DH was not a happy man the day we spent our day of hanging these gates.   I believe his comment was something along the lines of a day listening to you complain about not hanging the gates is worse than actually doing the job you don't want to do!   Somehow, I think he still loves me through it all!   I am happy tho that the gates are up.   I am quite self sufficient but gate hanging is a 2 person job.
Now that the gates are hung I have been working away installing the wire rope insulators.   Just a few more corner posts to complete and some more hardware to buy and I will have 6 pastures fully fenced!   Hurray!   The shoots, fencing and gates for 1-3 are done; just 4, 5 and 6 remain.   There is an end in site now tho!
Here are the 5 new gates from the quality time DH and I spent together on our days vacation!

Round Pen Construction
The site prep for the new round pen has started.   
My Dad scraped back the top soil and sod.  

The new site will be to the north of the outdoor ring directly behind the indoor.   This will allow a larger parking area beside the arena for trailers and visitors.

DH has started to lay the gravel base.

Neighbours Night Out
Had a wonderful dinner at the local restaurant Twisted Lemon with our former neighbours from Decewsville Rd.   We had a really fun night...and we got the best table in the house!   We got to see all the food being prepared at the Chef's Window table.  There will be no other table when I make reservations there now!!   Thank you Rob and Tracy for all you have done for us over the years and for staying in touch now that we aren't literally a stones throw away anymore.

Beautiful Sunrise
The sunrises have started to change from the wonderful full blazing sun that I used to see earlier in the year.   But this Aug Sunrise is still fantastic...this is the best part of the day.   I am so happy I am a morning person and get to enjoy this more often than not.


Vermin Count 
The vermin count has taken a large increase the past month.   During the wood splitting and stacking process Molly and Dora were helping keep the population in check by adding 9 to the count!

Unexpected Beauty
Lastly, I have to share this picture of what I call unexpected beauty.   I always find the way that nature sneaks something beautiful and unexpected into a place that we really don't expect to be a delightful small pleasure.  DH and I went around to the peer in Port Maitland for my future beach riding date.   Just thought it would be good to double check the parking and beach since it's been about a year since I was last there.   We made our way out onto the unrestricted pier, where some teenagers were jumping into the water off the pier.   If you have never been to the pier at Port Maitland it's a terrific (romantic) spot that has an open pier with no barriers or guard rails.   I love the freedom is possesses.   As we made our way back from the very end of the rocks on the pier this was the site...aren't they just lovely.   How could something so delicate and beautiful find a place to flourish in all that rock?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.