Thursday 6 June 2013

HP Haven Happenings

Lots on the go around the farm.   All the spring projects are now rolling around to the summer projects. There is never a shortage of things to do and I am really starting to get comfortable with the fact that I just can't do everything...at least not as fast as I want to and not in the first year!   I know you peeps that are reading this who know me well are laughing out loud about now.   My A Type personality is scream with pain and my reality portion of my brain is calling "uncle"!   So...even if I am making a muck out of letting go...I am trying to consciously not get bogged down in the details of the long, O so very long list of things I see on a daily basis that I want to make changes to.

DH and I bought the place with the thoughts of a 5 year plan.   I know, I may have pulled the wool over his eyes just a little on that 5 year thing...but he has played along so far so Shhhh...it will be our little secret!   Five years is an optimistic view of the future but I know we will get there.   AND even tho it's far from perfect it's still home and I can feel how right being here is for my insides.   This place has felt like home since the first night.   Even tho I have experienced the odd melt down over simple things like knotted fencing after 3 straight days of 12 hours of stringing new fences.   But hey, if the biggest road blocks are a few knots, a bunch of weeds and a half empty bank account...I have gained far more in joy than any of the troubles this places as presented.

The only flowers that this house has are four lovely clematis vines at the back door and side of the house.   I miss my gardens and all the spring bulbs but as the summer rolls forward I know I will get more time to address the loss of those beds from Decewsville and have the joy of creating a complete new perennial garden from scratch here.
 

My mom and I also did a bit of a transformation on the garden at the barn entrance.   
Here is what it was when we moved in.

This is what it looks like now.   Just need to add the cedar mulch to help keep those weeds at bay.

My mission on the weekend was get rid of the ugly garden at the front of the house.   When we moved in the old owners had taken out some of the boards on the front deck and filled it with soil to plant the veggie garden.   Yes, you are reading this correctly...the veggie garden was directly out the front door!
This is how it looked when we moved in.

This is what it looked like when I started...we had already ripped out the ugly broke fence, weeds and over grown shrubs late last fall.

This is now.   We still have a lot of landscaping to do here but the structure is mostly gone, with the exception of the little walk out.


We are in the middle of having a new roof put on the house.  As I type we still have about 1/3 left to be redone.   It's been a big job as there were 3 layers of old shingles on some portions and some of the boards were broken as the roof had no plywood sheeting.   That has now been added and we will follow this with new eves and new venting.   We chose a brownish colour shingle as in the future 5 year plan we will change the colour of the house.
Here are the guys at work...more photos to come after the weekend.

Here is the damaged roof with no shingles that needed to re-sheeted.

DH has started to rip out the drywall in the mud room.  We knew this had to be done when the new door was replaced.   This started as just a repair to the holes that Dora and Molly had picked away at.  But being an old house, one thing always leads to another...so this will be a full gut and re-do.   **Reminder to self...Rome was NOT built in a day.**

And LAST but not LEAST...there must be a Molly update!
She is growing like all the weeds in the yard.  It seems like everyday she gets just a bit bigger and fills out just a little more.   She is back in full force from here spay surgery.  I even took her on a 8km hack earlier this week with Izzy and I through the bush.  
She has taken to getting up on the foot rest at the island bar in the kitchen.   She also has taken to squirming her way into position to see what might be up there to eat.  Like all golden retrievers there is nothing more important than food!   I am not condoning this behaviour...but as you can see someone at the homestead is!!!!


1 comment:

  1. It's looking great! I love your house, what year was it built in? It has so much character.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.