Friday 30 January 2015

Izzy Jumps!

What a crazy end to the month of January!   My work life has dominated my existence in the last couple weeks.  Extended shutdown and then 2 major breakdowns.   It has been crazy!  I have spent more time at the office in these last 2 weeks than I would in just about a month.  This translates in to very little time at the farm.  However, I am learning so much and I am enjoying that part of the job.   It stretching me to be a better person.  To be kinder, listen more and forgive.   When you work when you are tired you hear people differently and when you work long hours with people you get to know them in such a special way.   It's a camaraderie that is shared that cannot always be translated into words.   I have a good group of guys on my team and we have become friends over crappy overtime meals.

In the mean time, at the ranch...
The big news is...drum roll please...Izzy and I had our first jumping lesson!   Yep, after about 25 years I shortened up the irons and took a tour over a few small fences in a jumping lesson with Scott McKay.   Izzy was a superstar.  For her first time Izzy just loped around the arena jumping the fences.  Even tho the jumps were maybe only 2'-2'6" they felt huge!   Scott made a good point; if you want the jumps to feel big, just look down!   Once I got my head up things evened out and it felt pretty good.   Izzy was certainly no hunter but to be able to mix up her training plan with some jumping to change her mental outlook on riding indoors for the winter, is certainly a good thing.



Izzy has also earned the right to the World Cup browband on her double bridle.  This lovely gift from Lynda after she rode Emma for a season when I was out with my broken leg has now been passed to the next competitor on the farm.  This special piece of bling needed to be earned, as it left the head of a champion and not just any horse can wear this in the honour that it deserves.   It however looks lovely on Izzy as she wears her white bling everyday!   Lets hope the next champion is crowned!   :-)


The new heaters for the wash stall have been installed and connected!   Izzy will no longer be sent back outside with her wool cooler under blanket to dry her out.  Special thanks to DH for this thoughtful xmas gift.

Friends are never far from my thoughts.   This group of girls are some of the best friends I will ever have.   We got together for our annual Christmas in January dinner.  

Flowers are also something that my mother has given me a fascination for.   The love of growing things and having this beautiful Amaryllis grow to this startling height is always a welcome pleasure in the depths of winter.   This beauty was started by my mom and gifted to me for Christmas.   It has grown to over 3 feet tall and has four giant blooms.   TWO more shoots are sprouting and will have blooms in about 2 more days.

A new small set of indoor estate harrows have been purchased to work up the indoor.  DH gave them the inaugural test run.   They work great and the old lawn tractor is able to pull them.

Wanda is blowing up like a balloon!   Still another 18-19 weeks to go!

Chubby still has a good buck in her!

From my studio...
Two commission quilts have found new homes recently.   Both in the same family.

From the kitchen...
DH took Monday off and made vegetarian lasagna completely from scratch for our first "Meatless Monday".  Sauce, noodles and cheese sauce.   It was delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.