Monday 1 September 2014

Time Flies...

… when you're having fun!
The summer is coming to a close, as this is Labour Day weekend.   It has been one heck of a summer and I can't believe how quickly it has passed.   With no summer cottage vacation this year the summer was different than most; it went by so fast, it's hard to believe we will be heading to the cottage for a fall vacation in a couple of weeks.   Feels like there has been a great deal accomplished but when I think of the list of things I had set out for myself to do, there is still a lot there!  (I think I wrote about this once already….how my mind is far more industrious than reality!)

The shelter is finished and it looks fantastic.   I am so pleased with the add on room that will store hay and feed for the horses that will live in this field.   That small room I can foresee saving a tremendous amount of time in the coming months.
Here is the completed shelter in Pasture #3.   Thanks DH…you do great work!

Here is the progress for Pasture #4!

My garden has been prolific this year.   The sunflowers are magnificent!

And they make the perfect shady spot for sleepy dogs while I pull weeds!

The poppies that I planted from seed are stunning.   I will plant flowers from seed again next year.

The tomatoes are ripe and ready for making sauce.   I have been taking bowls full to work for 2 weeks now of small cherries and pink ladies.   The Roma's have peeked and they are no simmering for spaghetti sauce!


PS - Thank you Diane for the huge zucchini's!  They are now included in my 2014 sauce!

The fish have become very familiar with the feeding routine.   If anyone (including the dogs) stands at the end of the dock the fish all congregate looking for fish pellets!   They have all grown.   Hoping that we have a decent winter and don't lose them.

The ugly abscess that made Izzy lame in January has met the pressure of 1200 pounds constantly standing on it and broke clear from the hoof wall.   This is not a pretty chip but the hoof looks well connected above the dead area so hear is to hoping that as the new hoof meets the ground it is strong and reliable.


The dogs don't always get the use of their Kuranda dog beds…sometimes a less than 10 lb cat takes ownership and no 65 lb dog is stupid enough to try and remove her!

The trail in the woods has been lovely.   This time of year with the cool nights makes for less bugs and a very enjoyable ride.   Not to mention the lovely yellow flowers that flourish along the side.

The walk back to the woods is my favourite stroll to cool out after a good schooling session.   The dogs love to come along and enjoy the fields and the smells.   This was what I turned back and seen after my lesson with Diane Creech on Saturday morning.   The rainbow over the farm was just the icing on the cake after a wonderful lesson with some positive progress and some fundamental homework to keep Izzy and I moving forward.


The old round pen from south of the indoor is nearly gone.   My Papa Bear spent the better part of the summer digging out all the old clay and relocating it for the bases of our new shelters.   All that is left is a pile to be moved to Pasture #5.   Thanks Dad!   We couldn't have done all that excavation without your help.

I have spent some time painting the windows.   So far the process is slow and tedious…but the results are worth the headaches.   This is just the primer coat.
One of my dearest and bestest friends is moving from her farm to a condo on the lake.   I got the pre-move in tour and the best part…I got to enjoy the magnificent trails and the view of the lake that is just steps from her balcony.   xo Reta…Love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.