Sunday 26 January 2014

Rant, Trimming Feet, Finding Beauty and Riding Aside

Winter was back with its gusto again this weekend.
Seems the working lot can't catch a break from this wintery weekend weather.

I have a short rant for this blog post.   Please no one take this personally…this is just something I need to get off my chest.
For those people out there that keep telling me that having my horses out 24/7 is so much easier and cheaper than having them stabled in at night.

I want to just clarify a few things…
I keep my horses out by choice.   They all have stalls and they all have been in over night on several occasions when the wind seems to be blowing the "wrong" way or someone needs special care.
But on the most part, by and large, they are outside.   
My horses are healthy.  They are in good weight and best of all they seem quite happy.   
They have the choice of going into a shelter out of the weather or staying outside in the weather.   At times I think they make unusual choices.  In the summer, they may be out in the pouring rain eating grass but when I think about this it's a great time to eat when the flies aren't a nuisance.   In general tho, I think they make choices that suit them which makes them a happy lot in the end.
So lets get to the point here…anyone who has mucked out a run in shelter in a blizzard, with knee high snow drifts, 300'+ from the manure pile knows that it's WAY easier to just muck stalls.    I muck my shelters 2x per day…because they are like stalls to my horses.   That takes time and it's not always easy when the weather is bad, the mud is deep or the rain is hard.
Anyone who has carried water to heated troughs out at pastures knows that it's WAY easier to just fill buckets in a barn or turn horses out for a few hours with no water.   It's also cheaper to not have to run hydro to those heated troughs 24/7.
Anyone who has fed horses that stay out 24/7 knows they need WAY more hay to sustain good weight than horses stabled inside.   That colon needs stuff in it to keep that internal combustion furnace chugging away.   That volume of hay is not cheap…but horses with unlimited access to hay are also very happy horses.   (and I don't feed round bales…that's a whole other blog post for another day)
Just because I have outdoor horses doesn't mean they get fed grain along the fence on the ground and have a big round bale sitting in the middle of the field so they can eat free choice.   My horses are still individuals with individual work loads and dietary needs.  They all get tied in the shelter 2x per day to be fed grain, inspected and scratched.    Yes, it's work but I believe that horse health and happiness should not come at the cost of human convenience.   I know not everyone shares this same point of view and I don't push my way of caring for my horses on others…so please don't disrespect my choice with your opinions on how much easier and cheaper it is without all the facts.    Rant over…I feel better.   Thank you for reading…enjoy the rest of this post!

So…now that that's over… :-)
Lets get to an update on Izzy…
Seems her abscess was reabsorbed if that was what was wrong.  I may never really know but after a week of soaking, poulticing and worrying she is again sound and will go back to work this week.
There was a small soft spot along her outside coronet band that was slightly bulging but it has yet to blow through there.   I imagine as I trim her feet over the next many months I will see signs of this lameness and may make the discovery of what was wrong at some point.

On the topic of trimming feet…I had a wonderful farrier out this week to help me on my trimming journey, Terri Gerber.   This was my first time meeting Terri after she came recommended by several of the Woodstock crew that are using her with their horses.   She is FANTASTIC!!   I can't say enough good things about her.   She's a humble woman that knows her job and shares her knowledge openly and freely.   It was a pleasure meeting her, getting her feedback on my horses feet and I look forward to a spring session with her where she will also do some body work on my horses as she has studied Equine Bowen Therapy as well. 

I photograph my horses feet about every 6 months to have a record of changes and to view my work in a static state.   Sometimes seeing their feet in a picture can highlight improper trimming that needs to be corrected based on the lines and angles that can be easily seen when you have the 2 dimensional picture.   Balancing the feet based on the horse is an important element in keeping a barefoot horse sound and without injury.   
Here is a healthy foot from one of my horses with a nice wide, low heel.   

Changing foot geometry is a bit of a science and an art.   It takes time and patience and sometimes a belief that what isn't working right no, will, once the foot has time to grow and heal itself.

Because it was a blizzard and nasty cold this weekend, I thought I would try and find some beauty in the winter wonderland.
Check out how lovely nature can design…these are frost patterns on the barn door windows.

This is a sunset from our front window after the snow had stopped.

Here are the 2 newest BFF's beside the huge drift that blew in along the barn entrance drive.

DH spent his tea time with the newest family addition.   What do you think?  
Do you think she is fitting in?

Here they are as a trio.


And to end off this post, I have a video that DH took back in Nov of Izzy the first time I rode her aside.   She was fantastic and I can't believe I forgot to share that exciting first ride.


Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.